Daimler DE27 1949
- Vehicle Overview
Body made by Windover. Only 41 were ever made. This car sat in a field for over 30 years. It has a 4.5 liter engine and weighs 3 tonnes. Most o this type of cars went abroad for royal or state visits and they never came back. The DE chassis was designed by Daimler chief engineer C. M. Simpson. It was based on a separate steel frame, which was the conventional practice at the time. This allowed customers to order a rolling chassis and have a body custom-built to their own specifications by a coach builder. The side rails of the frame were reinforced by x-braced cross-members. The rear wheels were driven through a Hotchkiss drive system modified with control arms linking the rear axle casing to pivot points on the frame located directly above the true pivot of the leaf springs. These arms controlled the lateral movement of the rear axle without distorting the normal action of the springs, and allowed freedom in the vertical and longitudinal directions. Final drive was by hypoid gears, replacing the worm drive that had been used on final drives in Daimler cars since 1910. The rear track was 63 inches (1,600 mm) wide. Tyres were 8.00 x 17 all around.